Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Podcast

I just listened to two classes using podcast to summarize a social studies and science unit. Radio Willow Web #23 discussed the 4th grade study of the Southeast United States. Students took turns covering economics, vocabulary, places, physical features, music and jokes concerning this geographical area. The second, Coleycast #24 dealt with space. It was not as long as the first, but still covered major areas of the solar system. Although I enjoyed listening to the Wilowcast more, I found the links provided by ColeyCast were better.

This technology is new to me and may take me a little time to warm up to the idea of using it in my classroom. Having said tha, I believe the podcasts are a potentially useful motivational tool for the classroom. I also think they could be used as a way for parents to find out what their student is doing in the classroom. I know many parents are unable to make it to "Back to School" night or open house nights, so this may be a way for parents to connect to the classroom on their own time. I also imagine a podcast could help teachers supply instructions for homework, or instructions for signing on and completing on-line lessons concerning CRCT review.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I wasn't very impressed with the podcasts, but you made some very nice suggestions on how they might be incorporated in classroom. I still like the technology that incorporates by visual and audial learning as opposed to the podcasts. However, when giving simple instructions where a visual is not necessary, this technology would be both appropriate and simple to use.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the newness of this technolgy we are learning. I hope to continue using it beyond this class. You mentioned so good ways to incorporate it into the classroom.